Saturday, November 15, 2008

Boats, beaches and butts

I am officially a TEFL graduate! I finished the program yesterday and went out with all of my classmates and teachers for a nice dinner complete with lots of wine and laughter. It is nice to be done. I can't believe my three months of traveling is nearing a close. The TEFL school has certainly kept me busy, but I've had time for some fun.

Two weekends ago I went to a nearby boating town called Tigre. We traveled by train, but it felt like we traveled by oven- the train had no open windows and we were standing up and sweating for an hour. Gross. When we arrived, we headed towards the Puerta de la Fruta-the fruit port-expecting to find some lovely fruits to quench our thirst. Turns out the port was misnamed because they were selling things for your home-the only fruit was chocolate covered strawberries. So I ate those. We had a leisurely lunch under sun umbrellas and bought a bottle of wine to have next to the river. Also lovely. We bought tickets to go on a cute little boat tour and were given a group discount for being lovely ladies. How nice. The tour went through the maze of seven rivers and was really beautiful. The river must have been really high because peoples lush green lawns simply dove right into the rivers. I love boats. We passed many people simply lounging on their docks, wine glass or mate gourds in hand. Argentines know how to relax.

In one of many parks in Buenos Aires, there is a giant metal flower that opens and closes each day with the sun. I have spent two afternoons laying und
er the trees and enjoying the sunshine. On one such occasion, we were wishing for water when a guy with a cooler of water walked by and sold us some. Ask and you shall receive, eh? 

Last weekend I spend a lovely time in another river town three hours from buenos aires. I went with my american roommate and three argentine girls. We stayed in this super cute cabin and spend the whole weekend by the pool, in the pool or in a restaurant eating. We also used one of the row boats that the hotel had and apparently all those weeks of summer camp paid off because I could row our boat just fine as could my roommate, whereas the three argentine girls could only row us in circles. So while they were trying to figure out the paddles and never quite did, we all got to see the sunset again, and again, and again. :) 

Thong bathing suit are the norm here for the ladies, although I stuck with my american "full coverage" bottoms that I brought we me. Seeing so many butts in one afternoon makes an earlier experience make more sense; I had dinner with an argentine family a two weeks ago and they had on the argentine equivalent to skating with the stars on the TV while we were eating. I wasn't paying much attention to it until I noticed that every lady dancer was wearing scandalous costumes; a few of them had on a half attempt at a skirt, most were simply wearing sequenced and bedazzled thongs. Butts are a public matter here. My american roommate and I are suppressing giggles and trying not to act like we're five, the argentines don't even flinch. I wonder if the skating ladies were cold. So back at the pool, I am realizing that this is simply how things are done here. I wasn't prepared for when one girl told her friend that her rear was getting quite sunburned and simply started putting on sun screen on her friends bum. It isn't like she couldn't reach!

Most of my time has been spent in TEFL school planning lessons, trying to figure out english grammar, observing my peers and reflecting on my own growth as a teacher. Two of the teachers have really constructive advice, two don't. I am proud of my teaching skills that I've been honing these past weeks, and I know that I'll be using them in the future. Someday I will be a nutrition professor, probably I'll be teaching english somewhere too. I'm still figuring that out. 

Tonight is an annual event known as "the night of the museums". Most of the museums in the city are all open tonight until really late and are free. I am excited to go touring tonight. This afternoon will be spent reading and relaxing; I've earned it!




No comments: