Wednesday, September 17, 2008

¡Viva México!

Has anyone heard of couch surfing? I was recently told about this new way to travel. There is a website where people can create profiles for themselves and be both travelers and hosts. Major cities have a local chapter to have parties and events with new people. The idea is to be able to stay on someone’s couch for free in a new place and hang out with local people and meet other travelers when going to couch surfing events.

Two of my friends from school are couch surfers and subscribed to the Mexico City list serve to know what is going on. Last monday night we went to a party hosted by a couch surfer to celebrate Mexico’s Independence day, said to be one of the biggest parties of the year. And while we didn’t end up going to the Zocolo to join in with the other millions, we had a smashing party in our new friend’s apartment. There were people from England, Mexico (duh), Russia, the US, France, Panama and more. We milled about for a while talking and drinking and then moved onto drinking games (I’ll have to play this new one with any willing people when I return to the US), limbo and lots of dancing. I had such a good time and was really happy to be able to have actual conversations with local folks. I have been complimented on my good accent several times and am proud of how far my Spanish has come. The cab ride home was punctuated with lots of fireworks and the driver tried to charge us $30. I gave him $10 and told him to get lost. It is really annoying to ride in cabs without meters because the drivers just make up whatever fare they think they can get away with and it is up to the person riding to know what is reasonable and to have the Spanish to be able to argue and negotiate.

No comments: