Friday, October 31, 2008

Holly Larson: Super Solid

I have always been a very solid build. I'm not fat, I am just really strong and muscular. I have never been able to float in pools well, or even swim well, for that matter. I was the crying kid in swim class that the instructor carried across the pool while the others did their best front crawl. When I was a wee thing, by father used to throw me up in the air and catch me like all fathers do. One time, when another girl my age was over, my dad threw me up in the air first and then gave the other girl a turn. Turns out he almost threw this visiting girl through the ceiling because he was used to me being like a bag of bricks. Recently, a massage therapist was working on my neck and shoulders and asked if I my job involved physical labor; nope, I'm just super solid. Being super solid has come in handy. For example, when defending my siblings on the bus, I arm wrestled this guy who was picking on my sister. I pinned his arm down in front of all his friends and totally embarrassed him. It is also useful when I can carry all of my groceries form the car in one trip or can carry six or seven gallons of milk from the back of Starbucks to the front. Apparently, I am also able to fend of bicycles. 

Walking to school last week, I was waiting to cross a street. The cross traffic had a green light, but the cars closest to me weren't entering the intersection because the cars across the intersection weren't able to move forward. Seeing the opportunity to cross, I looked left to make sure the cars were staying put and then checked the right to make sure they were still stopped too. I then stepped a single step into the street.

SMACK!

A man on a bicycle ran right into my leg, bounced off and landed on his side in the street. Holy crap! Barely able to register what had just happened, I asked the guy if he was ok, if he was hurt, and apologizing profusely. I am pretty sure it was my fault because the light was green. I also felt bad because he was on the ground and I was still standing up. As an after though, he asked me if I was ok too, but he didn't actually care. I quickly left the scene of the crash. 

With tears gathering behind my sunglasses, I turn to Sara and ask her what happened. Apparently the biker had been behind a bus so I couldn't see him when I looked left and then he flew around like a bat out of hell when I looked right. It didn't really hurt that badly, it just scared me because it happened so fast and I didn't know what was hitting me. I didn't see the bicycle until the guy was on the ground already. It could have been a car for all I had known, but thankfully it wasn't. A quick wash of my leg and some tylenol and I was right as rain. 

Look both ways twice before crossing the street. 

Super solid strikes again. 

2 comments:

Regina said...

LOL! I'm sorry but I remember our super solid convos, especially about you being a baby and you dad throwing you in the air. A grown man on a bike hits YOU and HE'S the one on the ground? AHAHAH! I'm glad to hear that you are ok though. Otherwise I would not be able to enjoy this visual. Please be careful and take care of yourself!

Tanya said...

Holly, I am literally laughing out loud...sorry...I mean, I am glad you are ok...but that's hilarious.